Header Picture

Header Picture

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Quilting Notes


With my renewed interest in sewing due to the new sewing machine, I dragged out the much interrupted celestial fabric quilt I've been working on for the better part of a decade (no, really. It's a bit shaming, actually.)

When I last left the quilt, I had woefully underestimated the amount of fabric I'd need for the back. I had made it back to the store to buy some more, but still faced cutting that in two and sewing it back together along the short ends, and then sewing that to the original piece I'd already done that to. I did that today, and it would have taken next to no time, had I not initially sewed wrong side to right side on the rearrangement of the newer fabric. Fortunately, that only added about ten minutes to the process, mostly because I can now sew straight lines with amazing speed and accuracy.

I also figured out that low bobbins are not a problem, it's that I have to be careful where I position the thread if I have to pick back up sewing in the middle of a piece of fabric. If I'm not careful, it'll get sucked into the bobbin manifold, and well, that's not a noise I enjoy hearing. This makes me happy, as I was starting to think I'd have to waste any amount of bobbin thread below a half full bobbin, which would be ridiculously wasteful, so I'm glad that's solved.

So, I was able to lay out the backing, batting and quilt top, and pin baste them together. I'm going to do this as a tie quilt, so that will be the next step. I was also able to pick up more of the backing fabric (which they fortunately still stock at Joann's) to be able to make the binding. I'm going to try doing the bias strips from a continuous square, which should be fun.

No comments: