Sunday, April 17, 2011
I've finished with the yolk of the Ruched Yolk Tee, which seems to be going well so far. I'm already developing a list of notes to self from it:
1. Ruching is ridiculously easy and oddly fun. I should do it more often.
2. Since this is top down construction, I figured I'd be an idiot not to try it on as I went along, to make sure the shaping lines up with where I want it to be. So, I used my interchangeable needles, with the thought that I would be able to cap the ends and easily try it on.
3. So my interchangeable needles come with a key you thread into the tips when attaching them to the cables to hold them steady, and supposedly help you get the needles tips threaded on tighter. I've never used it because I figured I was perfectly capable of screwing something together without help. On a whim, after my disastrous attempt to cap the ends and try the top on, I used the key to screw the tips back on. Dang thing actually seems to work. Yeah, I'm an idiot for not trying it sooner.
My largest cables are 40 inches. I have a 42-inch bust. Needless to say, I have a note to self to get longer cables the next time I have a project I want to try as I go. I'm still trying it on, but the waste yarn method definitely isn't as convenient as longer cables would have been.
For my second project du jour, I've finally started the niece/nephew to be project, which is Curly Purly Soakers in the full range of sizes. The above is the newborn size, which is so tiny that if this kid follows family tradition (granted, it's really more my mother's family, and my half-brother and I share a father, not a mother, so they may be safe), they'll never use this one, but it is really cute.
I'm using Cascade 220, mostly in solids, but with one handpaint, because it was fun. So far, seems to be a nice, easy process, so these will hopefully fly off the needles, and I'll have time to do something else before sending these off in time for a late August birth.