Header Picture

Header Picture

Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Gargoyle - Andrew Davidson

Read for the RIP V Reading Challenge.

A man is involved in a horrifying car accident, and is burned so badly he faces a long recovery in the burn ward of the hospital. While there, he meets a woman named Marianne Engel. Marianne insists that they’ve met before – that they were lovers in medieval Germany, where she was a scribe, and he was a stone mason. Slowly, she tells them the story of their supposed past, as he learns more about her history in the present day.

This is a really fascinating story, one that I can’t easily make a tidy summary of. What I’ve written above barely scratches the surface of the tale, which covers history, love, self-image, addiction, mental illness, religion, and so much more. Marianne’s tales of the past are compelling, and the unnamed narrator’s healing journey is equally fascinating. I had a hard time putting it down, which was a problem, since I read it while on vacation. This isn’t necessarily the most fantastical of tales, but if you want a fascinating personal journey, it’s well worth a read.

4 comments:

DesLily said...

glad to hear this is enjoyable.. its one of those books lost in my tbr pile!

Kailana said...

I really liked this book. I need to reread it at some point!

Shellie - Layers of Thought said...

I really enjoyed this one as well. I understand it took him 7 years to write it.

Its one of those hate it or love it books. I am the former.

Megan said...

Yeah, I don't think there's much middle ground with this book. You're either going to read it in as close to one sitting as possible, or chuck it across the room after the first few pages...