Header Picture

Header Picture

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Bookmarks



By way of Nymeth's blog, I found Mari's recent Show Me Your Bookmarks post, and couldn't resist posting my own. My bookmarks are one of my earliest collections, and even have their own shiny container to live in. I have way too many to photograph easily, but highlights of the collection include:

Local library bookmarks, and my college library from back when that was local to me.
The handmade wedding favor bookmark from Brenda and Adam's wedding.
The really cool wildlife themed print bookmark set done by a local artist that I bartered for at the Common Ground Fair many years ago.
Bookmarks from my college Writing Center, featuring extremely random silent film stars.
Bookmarks from my travels, including my personal favorite from a bookstore in Waterford, Ireland, where the owner had inked over the old hours.
The laminated Valentine's bookmark my fifth grade teacher made.
A Girl Scout promise bookmark I won long ago for a contest I no longer remember.
A neat moose from Alaska (from Leah) that seems to be carved out of an agate. A really thin agate.

What I love about my bookmarks is that I didn't buy any of them. They were all gifts, or came from the neat bookstores I've visited over the years, or seemed to come to me in some other serendipitous way. It's one of my favorite collections, because it's a window back on where I've been.

5 comments:

Mari said...

Hey! Thanks for sharing. I love where you keep them. Btw, I love the socks you are working on. I was thinking of knitting those. I am knitting the Embossed Leaves socks in the same book right now. :)

Megan said...

Thanks! I don't remember how I came by that container, but it just screamed bookmark home! to me.

I love the Embossed Leaves socks! I've actually knit two pair so far. One was a gift, and the other pair shrunk, so I'll probably be making another pair at some point :)

Jenn said...

I should have a book container! I have a ton, including some from when I first started reading! But they're ALL over the house...so I can never actually FIND any...!!

Nymeth said...

I love your collection!! So pretty.

Carl V. said...

I love your bookmark collection and especially the silver container you have them in. I too collect bookmarks and am always thrilled to find free ones at the library or bookstores that happen to have something on them that catches my eye. I remember finding bookmarks at a library in the town my brother lives in that had Lord of the Rings characters from the films on them. I was thrilled!