Header Picture

Header Picture

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Boston



I'm still recovering from yesterday's trip down to Boston for B's birthday celebration at the Cafe Flueri Chocolate Bar. I'm mildly mortified to admit I only managed two trips, but trip number two was this:


That would be a chocolate crepe filled with white chocolate, dark chocolate, coconut and mixed berries, flambeed in Grand Marnier, and drizzled with Creme Anglaise. I realize now that I probably should have paced myself a bit better on this round, and I might have managed a third. But oh, was it goooooooood.

The hotel is located right in the middle of downtown Boston, hence the pictures that started this post. I don't actually get into downtown Boston that often, both because I refuse to drive there, so it always involves some sort of combination of BF driving, bus, train and/or T, and because my friends have mostly moved out of the immediate Boston 'burbs, so we have less reason to go down there.

I finished out the day by rolling myself over to the Museum of Fine Arts. While Portland has an excellent art museum, I really enjoy having the chance to go to museums that aren't all about paintings, because most paintings don't do much for me (gasp!). I had a great time wandering through all of the ancient artifact collections at the MFA. They also had an Art Nouveau jewelery exhibit that was beautiful, if a little on the overly crowded side. And the musical instruments room was a lot of fun. It was a great way to spend the afternoon, though I was a bit disappointed in the museum store. I like getting postcards of some of the things I've seen that I found most interesting on a particular trip, but their postcard selection wasn't very impressive, so I actually came away empty-handed.

No comments: